Okay, so this is the final one!
When I went back and looked at the Unit 3 Blog, my numbers were exactly the same. I scored myself with a 5 in physical health and an 8 in spiritual and psychological health in unit 3 and unit 9. These did not surprise me, especially in the physical assessment, because I still have not changed my exercise habits, which was my big goal. As far as the psychological and spiritual assessments, I am also not surprised, because an 8 is a fairly high score in my opinion, and I do not really expect to reach a perfect 10, especially in just six weeks.
The goals and activities I set for myself back in unit 3 definitely have not happened, as I said, in the physical/exercise area. I find myself so crazy busy with school, especially because it takes me twice as long to do things as it would if I weren't disabled, which is a major source of frustration. However, I still plan to get started on it. My spiritual goal was to stop stressing about my adult children so much, and I do feel like I have made progress on that one! I really think that the meditation and breathing exercises in this class have helped. Those meditation and breathing exercises were my goal psychologically, so I would say I am making progress on that one too.
The biggest improvement in my personal health is due to the meditation and relaxations we learned here. I have no doubt of the effect these exercises have had, especially on my stress levels. I look forward to meditation especially when I am having a crazy day. Just knowing it is there even lowers my stress level and reactions. These practices have been the most rewarding and the exercise addition has been the toughest, just because I have not forced myself to create the habit….yet.
I feel like this class will help me to help others, because it helps with my stress level and thereby my patience level. The second reason is that anything I learn here can be done by anyone, especially deep breathing.
This is certainly a course that I would have enjoyed seeing go on for another 10 weeks. I believe I will try to re-read both books, and especially read the parts of the Schlitz book that we did not get to. Maybe I will get even more out of it.
Best of luck everyone! :o)
Vickie don't stress about not getting to the physical aspects yet. Maybe you just need to start out a little slower with them and then work up to bigger things. Instead celebrate the progress you have made and know that you can do it. From your post it sounds like you are already doing that. Keep up your good work and I'm sure you'll eventually reach your goals.
ReplyDeleteVickie, I think you have analyzed the progress and excercises you have done well!! We can't always accomplish all we set out to do for ourselves all at once. I too have not made excercise a good habit like I wanted to, but my mental health is better and I think that will help me get there. Thank you so much for your insight from this term. You are a great inspiration. Take care and best of luck!
ReplyDeleteYou sound like you know exactly where you stand and where you have yet to go! It's great that you have a strong psychological and spiritual score as that can be half of the battle towards developing stronger physical habits. I have found the mental relaxation exercises very beneficial throughout the term and have enjoyed keeping up on them. I have also found some additional mental exercises to keep things fresh. It has become very addicting! I look forward to the relaxation process and typically use it prior to going to bed. It has not only helped me during the day - but has greatly improved my sleep problems. Keep up the good work and good luck to you in your future!!
ReplyDeleteHi Vickie; I actually think you did very well because you did improve on your spiritual and psychological wellness. I think these two aspects of integral health were the most difficult, most unfamilar with most of us, and the most challenging. And I would like to commend you on your accomplishments. As with physical wellness; I think it always best when you dont have make a lot out of the whole thing. Do you know you could do very well with preparing your own meals, doing laundry, doing the dishes manually; and I hope this could be possible since you have a disability, you are probably wheel-chaired. I believe it is these informal exercises that can make the signficant difference.
ReplyDeleteVicki
ReplyDeleteThis is not the final one. This is a new beginning as we go forward as wellness professionals we will be able to share our experiences. The process is a very important part of wellness. Some people have all the great intentions to be well but don't have a clue. That's where you come in sharing your unique experiences. I have enjoyed following your blog and progress. I wish you continued success.