Saturday, October 16, 2010

Week 8 Blog

It seems impossible that we are down to the last few weeks of this term.
  I have really enjoyed learning more about all types of meditation and visualization, but my favorites have definitely been the Subtle Mind and the "Meeting Asclepius" practices.  These were the two most relaxing practices for me.  I think the visualization would have ranked up there too, had it been on the CD.  I just find it easier to listen to the guided imageries than to read them.  I love the background music and wave sounds. 
I find that when I am stressed at all, I am looking forward to listening to one of these practices.  Just the fact that I know these practices are available to me calms me.  I can do some deep breathing and think, "Those practices are waiting for me".  I am thinking I should add them to my phone, so that I can listen to them no matter where I am.  It has also made me interested in finding more of those types of practices to add to my collection.  Any kind of meditation practice is going to be beneficial to all of our psyches. 
Everyone have a great week!  Two and a half weeks to go, but this is a class I would be happy to have continue, because it has been so good for all of us. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree that I would like this term to continue on, not for the workload, but for the learning curve. I have enjoyed embracing the holistic approach to integral health this term and have enjoyed being challenged to evaluate myself. I hope that I am motivated to continue with some form of meditation after the pressure of this term ends! I have found it to be an easy way to get centered, relax and fell connected within and without.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if you noticed this theme on your post, but as a person who would use integrative method for healing, and if I was assessing what you said, to develop a healing therapy for you, I would say my assessment is of your 5 senses; sound seems to be your heightened awareness. With this evaluation of your strong inner, mental (cognitive), and biological, (hearing, sound sensitive).
    I would incorporate a group of CD's for meditation, nature, and natural environmental sounds, for you to listen to. After which I would ask you to tell me what reaction each one had on your mental, physical, and spiritual self. Each sound would undoubtedly produce different states of wellness for you, and we could discuss which ones to use to heal different areas at different times in your life.
    I fully believe Integral practice is also tailored to the 5 senses, and therefore closely tied to each individual. Let me know if sound is your heightened area within integrative medicine. Thanks

    Vicki D.
    Humanness and Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vicki,
    I can't believe either it will be over pretty soon. I want to learn more about those alternative medicine, but Ifound out what is best for me. Good luck for rest of the semester and other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vickie,

    I agree with you that this class has been very beneficial. Although I practiced some meditation before this class I have thoroughly enjoyed learning more meditation techniques. Last year when I was going though a very stressful time and not sleeping well meditation helped me keep my sanity and helped me sleep. I am a big believer in how it helps peoples psyches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, you hit the nail on the head. I am a very auditory person. I love music and nature sounds etc. Everyone in my family (husband and children) is very musically inclined in one way or another. It is pretty comical at family gatherings, because we all tend to burst spontaneously into song, when something triggers a song lyric.

    ReplyDelete