Hope everyone had a great week #5...hard to believe we are half way through this term already.
Comparing the two practices, loving kindness and subtle mind, I have to say I much preferred the subtle mind exercise. Does that sound awful? It isn't that I would rather just concentrate on me, me, me....it's just that I find it more difficult to visualize the things in the loving kindness exercise. I really enjoy the crashing waves and the soft music in the subtle mind exercise. I know they were there in the loving kindness exercise too, but i just prefer the subtle mind of the two.
I believe that when it comes to spiritual, mental and physical wellness, the connection is very important. We have to have wellness in all three areas to be balances and truly well. I have several family members who struggle (I sometimes feel like struggle is not a strong enough word) with depression, and it certainly causes physical manifestations. On the other hand, many people with physical illness or disabilities struggle with spiritual and mental wellness too. Many have the "poor pitiful me" syndrome....and sometimes that is deserved. It is tough not to say why me, and I have days when I struggle with it too, but they are few and far between. Feeling sorry for yourself doesn't accomplish anything. A positive attitude is so important to overall well being. Sorry, sounds like I'm on a soap box, but I know where from I speak. I am aware that depression is a real physical disorder, because of chemical imbalances, but I also know that some people have the ability to help themselves more than they do.
Okay, my rant is done....have a great week #6 all. :o)
Hi Vickie alot of what you say does hold some truth. And you are talking about real matters. The fact that you can articulate as opposed to rant is part of a healing process. How can we cure what we don't assess. Have you ever thought of depression as low energy. Sometimes not being able to properly communicate or convey our feelings is a form of depression. My recommendation is that you continue with the loving kindness meditation and the subtle mind you are going to experience amazing results if you remain commited.
ReplyDeleteVickie I know what you mean about people creating their own willness with the "pittiful me" syndrome. You are right that if they can mentally pull themselves out of this well of sorry they can probably feel much better. It is exhausting to try to help a family member stuck in this. I find no matter how much I love them, I have to walk away.I have a daughter who has mental illness (bipolar disorder)who refuses to get help. When she is up I talk with her and share her life, when she is down she is WAY down and there is nothing I can say to appease her. I have to stay away to preserve my own sanity. I found I can no longer own her problem. Even though it is very hard to see her suffer.
ReplyDeleteLaurie, you definitely "get" what I am talking about. My daughter and step son are the same way. And you are right, you can only do so much and then it is up to them. It is just really tough when you are a "fixer" like most moms. These exercises help me so much, because they help me to help myself unwind and let go. Turn it all over to God....it's the only way to keep my sanity some days.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. :o)